Saturday, June 3, 2017

June 2nd Devil's Den Trail

Devil's Den Trail on a hot and humid morning
I started this day feeling rather ambitious. Waking early I walked up to see the amphitheater and on the way back walked one of the seven trails in the park. This was the Woody Plant Trail and just ¼ mile. Next I went to see the pump house but it was under renovation so I was not able to get any good photos. It is an impressive building with massive timber corner posts.

Then I drove to the start of the Devil’s Den Trail which was described as 1 ½ mile loop, built by the CCC and, “a designated part of the National Trails System featuring caves, the Devil’s Ice Box, Twin Falls, Cold Springs and more.”  What they did not say is that it consisted of 1 ½ miles of steps up and down, and up and down.
The waterfall

Even though the entire trail was shaded by a mix of deciduous trees it was hot and humid so before long I was wiping my brow on my sleeve. By the time I was at the half way point I had soaked through two layers of shirts. But it was worth it as these photos prove.
The Woody Plant Trail


There are several crevices and caves with bats
in them but the caves were closed to protect
the bats

This formation is called the Devil's Ice Box

And the trail climbed up

One of dozens of sets of stone steps typically
with 10-12" risers

The trail squeezed through the crevice

Yes, this actually is the trail. I couldn't quite believe I was
suppose to walk down this way but that is what I did


I love this sign. The attitude a far cry from our litigious state

This massive timber bench at the end of the hike was
very enticing

Me sitting on the bench with my sweaty brow and soaked shirt

No comments:

Post a Comment