Saturday, June 17, 2017

June 11th & 12th Cumberland Gap National Historic Park, Virginia

This dipiction of Daniel Boone leading a group of people through the
Cumberland Gap is in the main Visitor Center in the National Historic Park
While I was in the Lincoln Museum the docent on duty mentioned that the Cumberland Gap National Historic Park was just outside the window. That’s all it took to pique my interest. I first drove to the Visitor Center and looked at the exhibits. The Cumberland Gap started as a path trampled down by wildlife that used the natural passageway. Native Americans reinforced the path as they hunted. Dr. Thomas Walker was the first European to survey the road in 1750 but it was Daniel Boone who is most strongly associated with the Gap. Boone first traversed the route in 1769 and thereafter led several groups of settlers through. The Cumberland Gap became the primary route that opened the west. “In the years 1780-1810 between 200,000 and 300,000 people crossed through the gap heading west.”
Later the Gap played a strategic role during the Civil War as both sides fought to control it. Recognizing the importance of this passageway Congress designated it a National Historic Park in 1940.
Civil War cannon on display at the Visitor Ctr

From the Visitor Center I decided to drive up to the Pinnacle Overlook. I noted the sign warning “No motorhomes over 20 feet” and though oh, what’s 21 feet – it can’t be that bad. Well, it was one of the most windy, steep roads I’ve ever driven on in any kind of vehicle and had a number of sharp hairpin turns. Later I saw an interpretive sign with a photo of the road looked like. Had I seen it before making the drive I think I would have heeded the warning.
Road to the Pinnacle Overlook

Once on top one could see three states – Virginia, Tennessee and Kentucky. Except for the roads, Fern Lake and the towns everything was covered with dense forest in all directions. It was a pretty spectacular vista.

I made a short stop at the Daniel Boone Visitor Information Center and then headed for the Wilderness Road Campground where I found a lovely, quiet spot for the night – my first night in Virginia.
Short path from the parking to the overlook

Pinnacle Overlook

Vista from the Overlook. The small town at the bottom is
the Town of Cumberland

A portion of the display at the Daniel Boone Information Ctr

No comments:

Post a Comment