Saturday, June 3, 2017

June 2nd Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art, Bentonville, Arkansas

"Maelstrom" by Alice Aycock, powdered-coated aluminum
After changing my soaked shirt I set my navigation system to Bentonville, Arkansas to finally go see the art museum that Kim Butt had so fervently recommended. As soon as I turned onto the street it was on I could tell I was up for something exceptional. It seems this entire area had been recently redesigned and built. The median and sidewalks were nicely landscaped, there was a new large park with fountains, and other new, modern designed buildings with nice landscapes. But as I progressed closer to the museum the cool factor kept heightening.

The entrance to the museum features a polished stainless steel leafless tree in an oval-shaped, contoured planting bed. The architectural entrance is subdued and bold at the same time. The architect’s palette included concrete, glass and wood. From street level you take an elevator down. When the doors open you find yourself in a small entry court dominated by a giant bronze spider – it is a bit of a shock to the senses.
"Marman" by Louise Bourgeais

Next I walked through the Dining Bridge with its high ceiling with wood fins and a giant gold heart. My route took me through the galleries in reverse chronological order so I started with art from the 1940s to current and finished with colonial to early 19th century art. As you walk the building frames stunning views across the pond or into the surrounding gardens. The architect Moshe Safdie explained his goal, and that of Alice Walton who funded the museum, was to create a seamless integration between architecture, landscape architecture and art. Peter Walker was the landscape architect. They succeeded splendidly. 
The museum entrance. The sculpture is called "Yield" by
Roxy Paine, 2011

The Dining Bridge

Gallery bridge with Early Twentieth-Century Art

Walker Landing

Architecture framing the view


Window framing Buckminster Fuller sculpture in the
landscape

No comments:

Post a Comment