Monday, June 12, 2017

June 6th TSLA and The Grand Ole Opry

Carrie Underwood performing at the Grand Ole Opry
Once I decided to go to Nashville I started looking for a place to stay. I figured it would be hard to find a campground near the city. I wanted to find a place close to downtown because I knew I would want to visit the Tennessee State Library and Archives (TSLA) multiple times. What I hadn’t figured on was the annual CMF – the Country Music Festival at the Grand Old Opry! OMG Nashville would be overrun with tourists from every corner of the planet.  Studying my camping app I found and called several places starting with those closest to downtown and working my way out. Every place I called said “sorry, but we’re full”. So, the whole time I was sauntering up the Natchez Trace Parkway I was fretting about where I would stay.
One of the locals performed and got a loud reception

When I arrived at the TSLA I found a parking space – another good omen. This is across the street from the State Capital and I found a parking space right at the library! It required me to maneuver the motorhome into a small, parallel space but I did it with about 20” in front of me and 0” behind. I adjusted to 10” on each end and entered the library eagerly.

After signing in, receiving a library card and instructions about their rules and hours I was sent off for a 15 minute personal orientation by an archivist who asked what I wanted to research and then proceeded to lead me to each set of books and microfilm where I would find documents and references that might contain information on my ancestors. I tackled the section of books on Carter County first, found some that I had not seen before and scanned the pages I was interested in.
This group sang bluegrass music

I stayed until the library closed at 4:30 and then really had to focus on finding a place to stay. I went back to my app and selected the next RV Park that was a bit further out of town. But this time a very nice woman didn’t say no immediately. She asked how large my unit was? Small, just 20’. She asked when I could get there? Right away, I’m in downtown Nashville and will come as soon as you say OK. She did, and I felt a tremendous sense of relief.

Then, another miracle happened. After I’d driven to the Grand Ole RV Resort & Market and registered for the night, Sue, the office manager asked me what I planned to do that evening? I said, “Research” and she said, “How would you like to go to the Grand Ole Opry? I’ve got a free ticket for tonight’s performance.” I was taken aback and asked, “Would I have to drive back into the city?” to which Sue responded, “How about a round trip shuttle for $15 – we’ll arrange it for you?”
Free concert right at the Grand Ole RV Resort and Market
on 3 of the 4 nights I was there

I stammered Yes, I’d love to and jumped back into my motorhome to change clothes, shoes and put on earring for the first time since I left home. 30 minutes later my motorhome was parked and hooked up and I was on the shuttle on my way to the Grand Ole Opry.

Going to concerts has never been my thing. I don’t dislike country music but it is not high on my list of favorite styles. But when offered a free ticket to hear country music in the premier venue in the world, why heck I was darned excited.
Interior of the Grand Old Opry theater as people were arriving

Now that I’ve been to the Grand Old Opry I think it is something every American should experience at least once. Why it’s as American as apple pie. The Opry is a live radio broadcast. The program began in 1925 and is now the radio’s longest-running program. I was there on a Tuesday night and the huge theater was ninety percent full. Six groups performed – each with a different style of country or blue grass music. Each group sang 3 or 4 songs. The final performer was Carrie Underwood – the only one I’d actually heard of.
The rest of my four-day stay at the Grand Ole RV Resort was a joy. It is a family run business and the motto of the family must be “never say no” and “make our guests happy”. Motorhomes of all sizes and shapes were parked on every possible spot including an overflow area where you could dry camp (that means no electric or water hookup). In addition to arranging entertainment and shuttle service they made referrals to local service providers – I got a great haircut while there, told me where to shop for groceries, provided free country western concerts at the park on 3 of the 4 nights I stayed there, served all-you-can eat breakfast for $8.50, and had a bar-be-que for guests the night I left.  I was made to feel like one of the family while I was there and it was hard to leave.
Walk from the shuttle to the theater


This guy was very entertaining and funny

This one's for Cathy

Another shot of Carrie Underwood

No comments:

Post a Comment