Saturday, June 24, 2017

June 16th & 17th East Tennessee History Center, Knoxville

Calvin Morgan McClung 1855-1919. The man who amassed
the McClung Collection housed at the East Tennessee
History Center
While I was at the Sherrod Library I noted that the boxed material they brought me from their Robert Nave collection was not complete. I knew this because I’d been to Robert’s home in 2012 and I’d seen a lot of files that were not in the collection at the Sherrod. So when I returned on the second day I asked about where the rest of his material had been sent. That is when I learned about the East Tennessee History Center in Knoxville. So, even though it meant a little back tracking I dutifully headed for Knoxville the next day.

After driving most of the way I stopped before getting to the city and camped at a second TVE dam campground – The Douglas Dam Tailwater Campground. It was a Saturday and because I arrived pretty late there were no sites left with water and electric hookups. So, for the first time since I left California I had to “dry camp”.
Downtown Knoxville


Dealing with the heat and humidity without my air conditioner did not please me but I was glad to have the opportunity to test the solar panel I had installed on the roof of the motorhome before I left home. There is a little red box hidden behind the video monitor that converts the solar energy to electricity. It has just 2 outlets but that was enough for my laptop and a small fan. The small solar panel provided me with ample power for the evening to do all that I wanted to do.

I also figured out how to set up the awning on the side of the motorhome, which I’d never done before. I did so to keep some of the sun out. My camp neighbors watched me fumble around with the contraption and congratulated me on successfully executing the task.
A small park in downtown Knoxville with fun art and a fountain

The following morning I was up early and headed into the city. I arrived about 15 minutes before the History Center opened but used the time, in their air conditioned lobby, to check my email. I was directed to the 3rd floor where Tim, the librarian explained and showed me what and where to look at books. The entire library – two large rooms consists of the McClung Collection. It is the primary source for historic information about Appalachia and all of the southern states, so I did research here on my Tennessee and Virginia ancestors and for the first time I tackled South Carolina.

I’ve been doing genealogy research in earnest for more than 20 years and for most of that time I’ve been trying to identify the parents Joanna Gaines, my second great grandmother on my father’s side. I also want to know if she had any siblings. I worked hard on this mystery the two times I went to Salt Lake City with the California Genealogy Society, I’ve searched for clues on the FamilySearch and Ancestry websites, and I’ve even enticed Jane Lindsey, researcher extraordinaire to look for her parents – all to no avail.
Historic photo of Macom Randolph College in Boydton,
Virginia. The McClung Collection had resources for each of
the southern states so I worked on my Pattillo ancestors while
at the library

While in Albany, Texas on this trip I found a new clue from a reliable source. Adding this to what I already knew about Joanna I decided to focus on Abbeville, South Carolina and a connection between the Gaines and Brooks families. I checked every book in the McClung Collection for Abbeville County and one provided another clue that got my heart racing. It was, “Abstracts of Old Ninety-Six Abbeville District Wills and Bonds” by Willie Pauline Young. In this book there was a synopsis of the will of Joanna McGehee that specifically mentioned Joanna Gaines and Martha Gaines, daughters of Hiram Gaines. It looked very promising but I wanted to see the complete will for reassurance.

I left the library six hours later when it was closing and stopped to ask the librarian if they might have a copy of the will. He told me to come back the next day and check with Steve, the head librarian. That night I made a bad choice for a place to camp. It gave me the creeps so I was anxious to leave early the next morning. I packed up, drove into town and parked myself at an ice cream store across the street from the History Center to wait for the library to open. The library didn’t open until 1:00 so I had coffee and then lunch while I waited.
Page 1 of 3 of the Last Will and Testament of Joanna McGehee

When I posed my query to Steve he went directly to a little known roll of film and set me up on a reader. I was practically holding my breath as I slowly turned the knob to advance the film. And, then I found it – the complete Last Will and Testament of Joanna McGehee. It had been typed by a precursor to the WPA program – what a blessing – I didn’t have to struggle to read a tattered, smudged and torn ancient document. Every word was clear and every sentence reinforced what I’d hoped to find all these years. At this point I am 99% convinced that I now know that Hiram Gaines was Joanna’s father and that she had a sister named Margaret. I also got the names of the grandmother she was named after, one cousin, 2 aunts and 3 uncles. All of which is new information. I’m 80% sure that I know her mother’s name and hope to prove it when I get to South Carolina.  
One of the Knoxville buildings I liked

Knoxville street

My parking space for the two days I spent at the ETHC

Another Knoxville historic building

No comments:

Post a Comment