Sunday, May 21, 2017

May 17th The Search for the Tipton Cemetery

D.G. and Nannie Stover Sr. home on the Brazos River,
Stephesn County, Texas
When I left Fort Griffin I was headed for Breckinridge, Texas. I had two options – go back through Albany or head north for a short distance towards Woodson and then south on Highway 183. I chose the latter and was glad I had because after driving a short ways I remembered that County Road 279 was between Highway 283, which I was on, and 183. This is important because I knew the grave of my second great grandmother, Joanna Gaines Stover, was somewhere on CR 279.

The FindAGrave website lists J.N. Stover with the correct birth and death dates along with 7 others who are buried in the Tipton Cemetery. Joanna’s daughter Sarah married Winfield Scott Tipton, so I was quite certain this was my ancestor. The only problem was that the website said the cemetery “was located on private land”. I had no idea where on CR 279 this small, historic cemetery was.
The stone over the door shows an 1886 date of construction

My plan had been to visit the county courthouse in Breckenridge in search of her death certificate and hoped that it would provide another clue. The courthouse website noted that they had death records starting in 1903. My GG Grandmother died in 1902 but that did not deter me. Plan B was to ask around town if anyone knew where the Tipton Cemetery was. Plan C was to drive up and down CR 279 and stop and ask everyone I saw.

But here I was already on CR 279. I thought I’d scope it out before I initiated plans A, B and C. A ways down the road I noticed a man in a pickup truck, I drove on and then thought, “I should have stopped to ask him if he knew where the cemetery was”. Then I noticed a sign for the Clear Fork Cemetery. The name was wrong but hum, maybe the Tipton Cemetery has two names – I’ve had that experience before in Tennessee. So, I turned down that dirt road squeezing through a narrow cattle guard, parked and was trying to open the gate when the pickup truck pulled in behind me.
The Clearfork of the Brazos River

I introduced myself to Scott Harris and explained what I was up to. Scott thought for a moment and said he did not think there were any Stovers or Tiptons buried there but he offered to help me look. First, he described two other cemeteries he knew of in the area.  One sounded just right – it was small and lucky for me Scott knew where it was, he though he knew the combination to the gate – because one of the property owner’s cattle had gotten on his property and he had to return it.  And, Scott said, “he’d always been curious who was buried there”, so off we went.

After Scott had opened the gate, he instructed me to stay behind him as we walked through the two foot high dry grass. Scott grabbed a stick and explained that, “sometimes one can encounter a rattlesnake in the grass”. I happily obeyed and stayed a few feet behind. What we were looking for was an area about twenty foot square enclosed by a rusted metal/chain link fence that was completely invisible from the dirt road. But somehow Scott led me to the hidden site. As he unhooked the “gate” I held my breath. Inside there were 8 graves. Three had headstones and 5 had “temporary” metal labels about 4” x 10”.
There were five of these metal markers. This one is for
Nellie R. Tipton 1891 - 1897

At each marker Scott brushed away the grass and I snapped a photo. And, there it was – one of the three headstones was for J.N. Stover 1826 – 1902. Scott had led me to my 2nd great grandmother. I was overjoyed. When I left Oakland, the one thing I most wanted to achieve on this trip was to find and photograph Joanna’s grave. I knew it was a longshot that I’d find it – in fact, now it feels like a miracle.
Granite headstone for Mrs. J.N. Stover Jan. 1826 - March 1902

But that’s not all. Scott told me that he’d take me to the Stover stone house just up the road. While in Albany I’d been asking everyone where the Stover ranch had been. Everyone I asked tried to help me but I didn’t have enough information to figure it out. Now Scott drove me right to it. We both got out and walked all around the building which was originally built in 1852 and expanded in 1886.  I took photos from every angle and felt great contentment. Scott said the Stover house is on a 160 acre plot of land and the story he was told is that “In the late 19th and early 20th century, our ancestors would take refuge in the basement of the Stover house during Indian raids.” I responded, “So, my ancestors sheltered yours … and now, you’re returning the favor.”

So, it turns out Scott is 67 just like me, he just retired just like me, and he’s been asked to serve on the local preservation committee as I did in Oakland a few years ago. His father started ranching there after he served in WWII and Scott hopes to pass it on to his children or grandchildren. He practices sustainable farming and explained that, “he’s not a rancher – he grows grass”. What he meant by that is that he needs to grow grass to feed his cattle. Growing grass depends on rain. Scott explained that the ubiquitous Mesquite trees suck up too much water so the responsible landowners work hard to control their spread. He pointed out his land that was covered with grass and native oak trees while others allowed the mesquite to take control.
Scott Harris at the Tipton Cemetery

Next, Scott took me to meet his father Thomas C. Harris. Mr. Harris is 90 years old, a bit frail but sharp mentally. We visited for about forty minutes and I was very happy to learn more about the Harris family history. Mr. Harris knew a lot about my Stover ancestors. When Mr. Harris’s grandparents first came to the area they lived in the Stover’s basement until their own house was built. A.W. Tipton’s granddaddy helped the Harris family build their home. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, when Indian raids were still happening, Tom Harris’s grandparents would take refuge in the basement of the Stover house.
This is the East facing side of the house built in 1886
When I asked Mr. Harris if he knew Mule Stover I got an earful. (Note: For the full affect you need to read the next few paragraphs with a Texas accent) He started by exclaiming “Mule, he was something else!” The first story he recounted was about Mule and his cousin A.W. “Tip” Tipton. It seems Mule had a special mare that he thought very highly of. One day one of Tip’s Daddy’s Jacks impregnated Mule’s mare. Tip and Mule caught the Jack in the act and Mule was so mad they castrated the Jack. As far as Mr. Harris knows Tip’s Daddy never found out who did it.

Mr. Harris was also finally able to answer my primary question about Mule – how did he get his nickname? Well, turns out Mule could mimic the call of a braying mule. He did it so well and so loudly “you could hear him for miles”. 
Mule Stover from the Portal of Texas History website

Mule never owned a car. Instead he depended on his friends to bring him what he wanted and take him to where he needed to go. In return his buddies would come out to Mule’s place – not much more than a shack down by the river on his parent’s ranch, and they’d have drinking parties that might last for two or three days. “Mule was a great cook – he’d cook anything his friends brought out to him”.

Sometimes he’d go into Fort Worth. He’d go to a local hotel and start running up a tab – then he’d skip out. “He was ornery as hell.” On the other hand, “he was very friendly and you couldn’t keep but like him, but you couldn’t trust a word that he said.” “He was a fun guy but you couldn’t trust is character.” Mule married late in life and straightened out but didn’t have any children.  Mr. Harris then added that Mule’s sister Joanna was normal – not like Mule.
Willie R. Powers Tipton, wife of W.T. Tipton, Sr. 1899 - 1946

Before we went our separate ways I asked Scott, “Why did you follow me down that road?” He answered, “I figured anyone out here is either a poacher or lost, and whichever it is I can help with both”. Lucky for me I was not poaching. I promised to share my cemetery photos with Scott and gave him my card just in case he finds another piece of Stover history. 
Nice detail on the cemetery fence with Mesquite trees in the background


2 comments:

  1. That is incredible that you found those grave sites. When my mom and dad did a similar trip, they were always so impressed with how helpful and generous people were- as they too did their search.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am from the Tipton linage from Tennessee, Virginia, Illinois etc I live in Texas not but 30 miles from Breckinridge. I am a descendant of Col John Tipton who home is maintained @ Johnson city. If you are ever back in the area my email is teachrulz4evr@gmail.com give me a shout. Loved reading your story.

    ReplyDelete