Saturday, May 6, 2017

May 6th - Lake Havasu City & The London Bridge


London Bridge looking north
This morning I start in Needles, California where it was 92 degrees by 8:00 AM. I drove east into
Arizona and headed south on 95 which was a perfect route for a very windy day in that there were no trucks to compound the effects of the wind.
My route paralleled to the Colorado River and took me to Lake Havasu City. I’d heard of the town but did not recall in what context until I saw a sign for the London Bridge. Moments after asking “are you giddying me?” there was the bridge crossing the Colorado River. Curiosity piqued I made a right turn into a parking lot, got out and walked over to take a photo.
Speedboats on the Colorado River

 The river was filled with flashy looking speedboats strolling up and down the river. There was a plaza at the river’s edge, and a collection of faux English buildings. Tacky yes, but intriguing. I walked down a ramp and along the shore where I could appreciate how the arches of the bridge framed views up and down river. 
I skipped the visitor center but learned from Google that the London Bridge was originally built in the 1830s and crossed the Thames River in London. The bridge has a rather gruesome history which you can read with this London Bridge link. In 1967, the decision was made to sell the bridge because it was structurally insufficient to support modern day vehicles.
London Bridge crossing over the Thames in London, ca. 1870

American billionaire Robert P. McCulloch, who made his money in oil, purchased the bridge for $2.4 million, had it taken apart and shipped to Arizona where the numbered stones were reconstructed onto a new concrete bridge. He rebuilt the London Bridge between 1968 and 1971 in order to attract buyers to his new residential development surrounding the new attraction. It worked - Lake Havasu City now has a population of 50,000 and according to Google the London Bridge is the second most visited attraction in Arizona after the Grand Canyon.

After this novel stop I continued south until I hit I-8 where I turned east. I selected an RV site in Dateland and as I’d hoped celebrated the day with a date milkshake. It probably would not have appealed to me except I remember my mom telling me about having a date milkshake years ago - she raved about it. So, in honor of my mother I savored every drop. Tomorrow I head for Tucson.
Plaza along the river bank



 Entry columns imported from London
oddly juxtaposed with desert vegetation
Ornate wrought iron date adds to the faux setting

View to the south framed by bridge arch

No comments:

Post a Comment