Friday, May 26, 2017

May 24th The Kimbell Art Museum & Louis I. Kahn Exhibit

Renzo Piano Pavillion and Kahn landscape
After spending two hours enjoying the Cowgirl Museum I returned to my motorhome to have lunch and relax in the still-shaded spot. When Roger led my tour of downtown Fort Worth he drove by the Kimbell Museum and insisted that I must go there. I’m not big on museums – generally preferring to be outside when I travel but I headed that way after lunch. The Kimbell is located in an area of downtown Fort Worth called the Cultural Center – the same area where the Cowgirl Museum, the Science and History Museum, the Amon Carter Museum, the Will Rogers Memorial Center, the Botanical Garden and a few other cultural resources are all located together.
Sloped landscape over the underground garage

The Kimbell Art Museum is a complex of modern buildings designed by Renzo Piano and Louis I. Kahn. The complex opened in 1972. The landscape that surrounds the complex is stunning with bold, angular lines and rigidly aligned trees. A few pieces of sculpture are strategically placed in the landscape.

Highly-finished concrete and light are the key ingredient in the buildings. Both Kahn and Piano were geniuses when it came to using natural light to illuminate the interior of their buildings. Inside I toured the Louis I. Kahn exhibit and learned much more than I’d previously known about the extraordinary breadth of his architectural work throughout the world.
Roof of the Piano Pavillion

Rain God Vessel, ceramic, Mexico, ca. 1100-1400

Interior of Renzo Piano building


Aligned trees in the Kahn landscape with Will Rogers tower
in the background

Bold, angular landscape detail



L'Air by Aristide Maillol in the green court

100 foot long bays

No comments:

Post a Comment