Monday, May 29, 2017

May 26th Dallas Cattle Drive Sculpture


Dallas Cattle Drive Sculpture by Robet Summers
I spent Saturday and Sunday the 27th and 28th doing genealogy research at the downtown Dallas library. Jane Lindsey told me it is one of the best genealogical libraries in the country, so even though I had planned to bypass Dallas, I decided I had to at least check it out.

As I drove into downtown, from where I was camping in the Cedar Hills State Park, I saw a fabulous sculpture of a herd of longhorn cattle in a park. I was a little early because the library did not open until 11:00 that day so I pulled into a small parking lot. I was just about to try to squeeze into a small parking space when a car started backing out leaving me ample room to maneuver into the space and still leave room for a small car next to my motorhome.
One of three cowboys included in the artwork

I never saw a sign identifying the sculptor so later that evening I checked Google and learned that the name of the artist is  Robert Summers and that it consists of 49 steers and three trail riders – all larger than life size and all cast in bronze. It was evident that the artist worked closely with a very talented landscape architect who worked with several first rate craftsmen to design and built the dramatic setting for the artwork. The herd ran over a cliff – all hand crafted, and down through a stream before they headed for the City of Dallas with its glass and mirrored buildings in the background.
The Park is known as Pioneer Plaza because it is adjacent to a Pioneer Cemetery. The work was created in 1992-94, costing $9 million and was funded almost entirely with private money. There were lots of people in the park – kids, locals and Europeans. Apparently it is one of the most popular attractions in Dallas.

The detail in the sculpting is quite fine. The spur actually spins

This Pioneer Cemetery is immediately adjacent to the sculpture

This low shrub with vibrant pink flowers was part of the
planting. Wish I could tell you what it is.

The stamped heading for downtown Dallas

Kids enjoying climbing up the sculpted rock steps


Crossing the stream just like on the real trail

Part of the landscape architect's work

This man made cliff wall emulates the local limestone cliffs

No comments:

Post a Comment