Saturday, May 20, 2017

May 17th Fort Griffin State Historic Site

Fort Griffin Entry Gate, originally built by the CCC 1939-41.
Current sign by Texas Historic Commission, 2008
With reluctance I left Albany, Texas having fallen in love with this small, historic town. The architecture, history and people of Albany are all wonderful, but I had other things to see and places to go, so I headed north on 283 towards Fort Griffin. When I arrived at a nicely designed modern building mine was the only vehicle in the parking lot. I was warmly greeted by Jane Lenoir and when I told her about my family history search she instantly turned to her computer and started bringing up news articles on the Portal of Texas History website that featured my first cousin 3x removed D.G. “Mule” Stover. Jane had heard of Mule – the third person to tell me that – I guess he was memorable.
"Photograph of a hog hanging from a winch with Mule Stover
 leaning against it. Watt Matthews can be partially seen
 behind Stover. Richard King stands to the right near a barrel."
 Thanks to the Matthews Family and Lambshead Ranch
 from the Portal to Texas History Website
Jane Lenoir at her computer and a Texas Longhorn on her wall

Jane then proceeded to explain everything that I needed to see while at the site. She sketched everything out on a map and I dutifully followed her instructions. I’m glad I did because I saw things I would have missed otherwise. Fort Griffin was another recipient of the CCC crew’s work from 1939-41. They built the park’s entry sign, roads and several other park structures. Later the park reconstructed several of the historic wooden buildings for interpretation. Portions of a few of the original stone structures remain. 
Foundation of a 1st Sergeant's residence

Fort Griffin was a military site from 1867 to May 31, 1881. It was established to protect settlers from attack by the Comanches and Kiowas tribes. The site of the fort is on top of Government Hill and near the Clearfork of the Brazos River which is where “Mule” and his parents owned a ranch. Since 1948 the park has been the official home of the State of Texas Longhorn herd. Texas Longhorn cattle are beautiful animals of which Texans are rightly proud.

After leaving the Fort I drove into the Fort Griffin Campground and found a beautiful facility – one of the nicest I’ve ever seen. The campsites were generously large and nicely shaded by trees.  I was sorry I wasn’t ready to stop for the day – it would have been a nice place to stay.
Fort Griffin bakery

Interior of the bakery

Bakery ovens
One of the exhibits included this photo and explanation that prior to 1884 when
the railroad came to this part of Texas, this was the most efficient way to travel
with a flatbed wagon pulled by oxen, horses or mules. Since my great grandfather
arrived in 1879 I imagine this is how he arrived from Virginia.

Part of the herd on the 502 acre park site

Original location of the Fort Griffin military cemetery

Interior of the messhall
Ruin of the Administration building

Informal display of artifacts found at the fort

Detail showing wall constructgion

No comments:

Post a Comment