Monday, July 3, 2017

June 25th South Carolina State Capitol and University

Brick walk through the Horseshoe on the University of South Carolina Campus
After leaving Abbeville I headed east on Highway 378 towards Columbia, South Carolina’s capitol city. It was a two and half hour drive that took me through several small towns on the way. While in Knoxville I learned that the South Carolina Department of History and Archives (SCDHA) was the premier research facility for South Carolina history so clearly, I needed to go there.

Since I arrived on a Sunday and SCDHA was closed I filled my time by visiting the State Capital and University campus that were in close proximity. I must say I am envious of every student that has the pleasure of attending USC. It is a stunningly beautiful campus with massive shade trees and well-maintained gardens. The University is steeped in history with an impressive collection of historic buildings and monuments. The heart of the campus is called the Horseshoe. Surrounding this central green ten of eleven buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
This monument at the center of the Horseshoe was
designed by Robert Mills who also designed the Washington
monument in Washington DC

After finding a perfect place to park near the McKissick Museum/Visitor Center I walked through the Horseshoe to the Thomas Cooper Library where I hoped to add to my collection of family history documents. I struck out though. After some conversation with a librarian who tried her best to be helpful, it was apparent that I was in the wrong library, and the right one was closed during remodeling.

Only mildly disappointed, I headed for the State Capitol which reminded me a lot of our own California State Capitol. The Capitol building sits within a city block and is surrounded by a nice variety of mature trees, well maintained gardens and, like our capitol, a number of monuments. I found the monument depicting the history of African Americans to be particularly poignant. The quality of sculpting on the Corinthian columns  of the Capitol was also very impressive.
South Carolina knows how to treat their trees providing ample
mulched that extends to the dripline.

One of several enticing, narrow walkway
between the buildings on campus

Oak grove and perennials on the USC campus

Unknown ground cover with shiny, round leaves.

This hybiscus flower is about 7" in diameter

South Carolina State Capitol

View of the Capitol building over a nicely planted bed

Capitol building ornamentation

Detail of the column capital

A mass of spider lilies

This is part of the monument to African American
history

It took a moment to realize this sculpture depicts slaves
packed onto ships below deck

Monument to Confederate Women

Detail of the monument to Confederate women
Monument to Strom Thurmond who participated in
the D-Day invasion in 1944, received 18 military awards,
was a judge, governor of South Carolina and the longest
serving and oldest state senator in US history.

Plan of the state capitol grounds

No comments:

Post a Comment